One of the first things I learned to cook for myself back in the day was French Toast. I learned that recipe from my Nanny. And that started a lifelong love of cooking but not of breakfast. That I can thank my mother for – she always loved breakfast. But her usual dish didn’t vary too much from toast, over easy eggs, grits and bacon.
Well as a person with Celiac’s, both the toast and the French Toast have become infinitely harder to manage, not impossible, but harder. One of these days I’ll throw on my Citrus French Toast recipe with a Bailey’s Anglais. And at this point, I can see I’m about to veer way off course. So I’ll just stop my digressing with – I love breakfast!
So this recipe is fun and easy to do. It’s called a Pig Sty because it’s got bacon and it’s messy to make and eat. But it’s so fun and good!
1 very large red onion
7-8 strips of thick bacon
5 cups (1 kg) shredded hash browns
7-8 eggs (better if they are smaller)
Cayenne – to taste
Seasoning Salt – to taste
Pepper Jack Cheese
- Preheat your oven to about 425 F. While that is working spray down a lipped pan with cooking spray.
- Cut the onions so that you have about 7-8 really large rings about 3/4 inch tall. Place a piece of bacon on the inside of the ring creating a circle.
- Mix your hash browns with one egg and seasoning salt so that it just coats the browns. Fill the bacon-onion rings with hash browns and cook for about 25 minutes – the biggest priority is to ensure that the bacon is cooked.
- Making an indention in the centre of the hash browns, crack one egg into each ring and then cook the whole thing for another seven minutes.
- Top with shredded Pepper Jack and Cayenne, cooking until the cheese is melted (two minutes give or take).
- Serve with some gluten free toast with cream cheese and pepper jelly (this recipe will be coming soon as well!)