A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away (sorry that intro never gets old to me!), my wife introduced me to trifle. As a young warthog (ok, they’re both Disney properties!), I had never experienced trifle. I was not a huge fan of pudding mind you. On the other hand, chocolate cake was right up my alley!
Alas, a few years ago, CD hit me like a ton of flour and dreams of cakes went out the window. That is until I figured out there were GF cake mixes to be bought or GF flour to be purchased to make homemade cakes! And it was good.
This recipe is relatively simple and doesn’t take a whole lot of time depending on how store bought you go. Remember – chocolate cake, pudding – who said GF was TasteFree?!
1 recipe GF chocolate cake (something like this would work)
2 small (400 g) boxes chocolate pudding
1 tub (1 L) whipped cream
6 Skor bars
1/4 cup (30 ml) Kahlua
- Bake your cake and let it cool completely. This can be done obviously like the night before or a few hours before you want to actually put the trifle together.
- While it cools, make both packets of the pudding, ensuring it is set.
- Crush your Skor bars so that they are smaller bite size chunks.
- Cut your cake into small bite size pieces.
- Put half of the cake on the bottom of a deep bowl. Drizzle about half of the Kahlua on top of that.
- Add half of the pudding and then half of the whipped cream.
- Sprinkle half of the Skor bar over the top.
- Repeat steps 5-7, chill and serve!