This is a simple Anglaise recipe that you can find almost anywhere. There are a few minor tweaks from my restaurant days. In this case, GF is definitely not taste free!
2 cups (500 ml) whipping cream
1.5 vanilla beans or 4-5 (75 ml) tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup (150 g) white sugar
8 egg yolks
1/2 cup (125 ml) Baileys Irish Cream
- Put your cream and fresh vanilla beans in a sauce pan and heat slowly, stirring constantly until bubbles form at edges.
- While your cream is coming to just under a boil, whisk together your egg yolks and sugar until they are smooth. Supposedly you should add 1/2 of the milk to the eggs mix and whisk constantly. I usually just add the whole egg mix into the pan since you will be heating it slowly anyways. The point is not to cook the eggs so you should likely make sure you have the pan on a very low heat if you pour it all in.
- Continue to heat the sauce, stirring constantly, until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. If it starts to lump, you’re cooking the eggs and will not have a good sauce.
- Once the sauce is done, pull it off the heat and add in the Baileys and whisk it together. Then put it in the fridge immediately to keep those eggs from cooking!
- When you’re ready to serve it, it should be a little chilled but not fresh out of the fridge unless you want your hot food to get cold immediately!