I’m not sure if you’ve noticed yet, but I love breakfast foods and I love pork. Such a versatile meat, bacon, sausage, bacon, roast, chops – it’s all good. When I can combine the two it’s even better!
And one of the other things I like is breakfast casseroles. This is a fantastic new version – based on nachos and fused with Italian flavours. Featuring Italian Baked Potato Chips as the bottom layer, then some cheese and Italian sausage, it’s finally topped with eggs and more cheese. This could just as easily feature Mexican flavours – use Mexican Chorizo, Mexican Seasoning on the chips and Cilantro instead of Oregano.
It all sounds really good and really there’s nothing about this breakfast that doesn’t make me giddy and hungry!
Huevos Nachos Italiano
Italian Baked Potato Chips
8 oz. spicy Italian sausage
1 red onion
8 oz Pepper Jack
1 tbsp minced garlic
diced green onions
- Make a recipe of Italian Baked Potato Chips.
- Fry the sausage out of its casing along with the diced red onions.
- Layer the chips on the bottom of a pie pan or small casserole pan and then put the sliced Pepper Jack on top of the chips.
- Next layer the sausage and onions on top.
- Scramble the eggs along with the garlic and oregano.
- Layer the eggs and then the shredded cheese over the top of the eggs.
- Bake at 475 for about 6 minutes.
- Once baked arrange the diced tomatoes and green onions over the top. Serve hot!
As someone with Celiac Disease, you know that it’s extremely hard to find suitable sides that are quick, easy and don’t cost an arm and a leg. Sure, you can do rice or a baked potato for your starch and there are a ton of veggies.
But I have to admit I really am a meat and potatoes kind of guy, when I’m not scarfin’ on nachos! So it really cooks my corn when a restaurant can’t have a dedicated fryer for their fries when they have GF buns for their burgers. Seriously!? And I digress …
I recently came across a different way to cook a baked tater that’s a bit more labour intensive but just as addictive as the chips out of a bag. And they go great for a new breakfast bake that I will be featuring next week, which showcases how GF does not mean Taste Free!
Italian Baked Potato Chips
3-4 medium russets
chili pepper flakes
- As your oven preheats to 475 degrees, wash your bakers. Then slice them into chips at about 1/4-1/8 inch thick. You could use a mandolin if you could get the D!*#$%( thing to work!
- Lay them out on a foiled cookie sheet 1 layer deep and brush olive oil all over the top sides.
- Sprinkle on your Parmesan, Oregano and chili pepper flakes. I didn’t put measurements because it’s completely up to you as to how much zing you want in your chips.
- Bake for about 10 minutes on each side. If you’re doing convection, I found 7.5 minutes top side and about 10 on the bottom. That really depends on how thick you cut your chips.
- Serve hot!